We believe that God reveals an aspect of His character to us through His generosity displayed at the cross in saving us for His glory. So accordingly, as we strive to put the character of Jesus on display in our city, we long to be known as a generous people.
Additionally, we believe that the Scriptures teach that giving is a vital part of our worship as a whole. We believe that giving cheerfully and sacrificially is an act of worship that blesses the giver as much as the receiver (2 Corinthians 9:6-7).
Giving is a formative agent of grace that makes us more like Jesus. Giving is absolutely essential to following Jesus. When we give out of our encounter with the gospel and with a generous heart, it causes many changes within us. Here are a few to consider:
- It increases our intimacy and directs our attention and heart to Jesus. (Matthew 6:21)
- It increases our character, conforming us to the image of Jesus as an unselfish giver. (Romans 8:29)
- It helps us to realize the true ownership of ALL of our posssessions. (1 Chronicles 29:11-12)
- It teaches us to trust and submit everything to God. (Deuteronomy 14:22-23)
- It works as our greatest weapon against the idolatry of money and its illusion of power in our lives.